Thursday, May 17, 2007

First Ultrasound

Well, I guess I had an update sooner than expected. At my last appointment I didn't know if I was going to be doing the new test they've been starting to do in recent months for mothers in their first trimester but I did. It's an ultrasound to test specifically for Downs Syndrome, they measure the thickness of the skin at the back of the baby's neck but they also let you take photo's home too and they'll record it on DVD for you if you want and of course I did! I have to say....I thought hearing the heartbeat for the first time was exciting stuff but WOW....seeing my baby (yes, only one for you twin wishers!!) for the first time was the most amazing experience!! My cousin (and soon to be God Mommy) Christina joined me as Ryan couldn't make it. It was definitely nice to be able to share that with someone close to me and Ryan is most definitely going to be at my 20 week ultrasound when we are able to find out a lot more information like pinpointed due date and the sex....yippee! I'll finally be able to say he or she, not "he/she" or "it", those references slip out once and a while but I just don't like the sound of it ya know?? :-) When the technician was walking me to the room she asked "so you have a full bladder right?" and I said "what? I just pee'd 2 seconds before you called me in ...no one mentioned not to pee?!?!" I guess someone was supposed to tell me but failed. So, as she got started I drank a liter of water to try to fill'er up again and I guess she had some luck w/o the full bladder but wanted me to drink a little more and walk the halls a bit to get the baby to switch positions because the little bugger didn't want to cooperate. I didn't mind, it was just more time for me to look at my little one :-) Turns out even with a full bladder they couldn't get "ideal" pictures but they got a few that gave them what they needed. From what the ultrasound technician could see everything looks normal but the photo's get passed on to the real expert after my appointment to be looked at along with the results of my blood work.....I'm sure everything is just fine. Baby is 69.5 mm long (approx. 2 3/4") and the heartbeat came in at around 150 bpm. Here's a sneak peak, the profile..........
and my little alien!.......
What you are looking at is the baby looking straight up at my belly. It's not hard to see the 2 eye sockets and above those is where the skull is forming. Look at that belly! Baby's got Daddy's beer belly already?!?!? First heartbeat, now pictures.....I really am pregnant!!
Print this post